St Michael & All Angels' New Organ - watch here for latest updates
Project update, October 2014
Project update, September 2013
Project update, April 2013
Project update, December 2012
We have nearly completed our major project to build a new organ and add an additional floor to the Church Vestry – making two further much-needed Parish meeting rooms.
The new organ means that the Church – and the local schools and the many musical groups that use our church – at last have the instrument they need. The previous organ was deteriorating fast. Even in its youth, it was never adequate for either the size or demands of St Michael’s.
As Oliver West, Architect and former Choirmaster, wrote: ‘The present organ is in a very poor state: the bellows have rotted, the wind chests and playing action are in bad shape and several stops are not working.’ With increasing congregations and ever more ambitious music at services and concerts, the need for a new instrument was paramount.
We are a growing church with a variety of important ministries within our congregation and in the wider locality. Over ten years ago, we completed the refurbishment of our Parish Hall, creating three new spaces. The Hall is now used by a great number of local groups – for classes, meetings, lectures and social events - which has placed our church at the heart of the community.
The new Hall has transformed the way we are able to do things as a church, and we needed more space for our expanding work with children and young adults and small group meetings. The new floor in the Vestry will meet this need.
In 2009, the PCC, after much discussion and painstaking research of organ-makers, commissioned craftsmen in Switzerland to build a new instrument to our specifications. In November 2011 the diocese granted the required faculty for the new organ and the building alterations to house it. The building work and installation of the organ are complete - but we need to continue with our fundraising plans to complete payment!
There have been many fundraising events including:
• Pipe Up! 'Sponsor an organ pipe', our main fund-raising campaign, which has raised over £100,000 so far.
• The Hymnathon on February 24-25 2012 - a sponsored non-stop sing of the entire The New English Hymnal over 30 hours, which raised over £50,000. Two years later, a Top 50 Hymnathon was held in February 2014, accompanied by the organ!
• The Mardi Gras Ball on Saturday February 9th 2013.
• A Shopping Evening on November 15th 2012
• Organ Voluntaries before the old organ was removed.
• To come - a variety of concerts and other events, including a Lunchtime Recital on the first Friday of every month (except December).
If you wish to donate, please text ANGE15 £x to 70070 (£x can be anything from £1 to £10). Or contact the Parish Office on 020 8994 1380 or e-mail: email@example.com. Watch out for more events and ways to volunteer and to donate.